All of the goodness of chicken parmesan packed into a delicious cheesy casserole! Crispy chicken, marinara sauce, penne pasta, and cheese come together in this easy to make dish!
This time of the year is great for a delicious casserole. It is starting to cool down outside and a good casserole is comfort food at its finest. Chicken parmesan is one of my favorite dishes! I love the crispy breaded chicken with the marinara sauce on top and melted cheese. So why now turn it into a delicious casserole for my family?
I wanted to add all of my favorite things about chicken parmesan into this casserole. Especially the crispy breaded chicken. Oh and don’t forget the melty cheese on top and throughout!
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1½ (32 ounce) jars marinara sauce
- chopped basil for garnish (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Rinse and drain the pasta in a colander.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Pound the chicken to be about ¼ inch thick or slice in half so they fry easily. Place the flour, egg, and Italian bread crumbs in separate bowls. Coat the chicken in the flour, then the egg and lastly the bread crumbs. Place to fry in hot oil until brown on each side and no longer pink in center. Remove from the skillet and slice into pieces.
- In a large bowl combine cooked pasta, chicken, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese and marinara sauce. Mix until combined.
- Spread the pasta in a 9×13 inch casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and uncover and top with remaining cheeses. Continue to bake for about 10 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through. Garnish with chopped basil if desired.